It always amazes me when I meet someone who lacks basic communication skills. One of my biggest pet peeves is trying to communicate with an individual who possess the communication skill level equivalent to a caveman. Now, I am actually a very nice person! However, if you posses any of the characteristics listed below, I may internally cringe or avoid talking to you.
In no particular order, here are ten characteristics/types of people who absolutely suck at communicating:
- Lack of eye contact– “My eyes are up here, buddy.” Just kidding- but seriously, if you cannot focus on the person you are talking to, don’t bother talking to them at all.
- No enthusiasm/emotion– You should at least try to act like you care about the topic or person you are talking about/to. If not, at least pretend you do!
- Text Lingo– if you use the phrase”lol” when talking to me in person, I will probably hit you.
- No Punctuation– because “let’s eat mom” is very different from, “let’s eat, mom”
- Bad Body Language– no words necessary for this one.
- Uneducated People- nothing’s worse than listening to someone not know what they are talking about.
- Boring People– enough said.
- Poor Listeners– because believe it or not, one must actually posses skills to be a really good listener.
- Unorganized Thinkers– even I am a fan of “just winging it,” but don’t get too confusing on me
- These People